CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »
Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Followers

Some other language?

Friday, January 18, 2019

MEETING SHIVA, THE MAN FROM HAMPI


Our plan was to visit Hampi in the last week of December, 2018. As Hampi is listed as a world Heritage site, we knew there would be a lot in store for us. My husband was in charge of making all the arrangements and I knew he would not disappoint. Needless to say, that Sandeep had spent days together in shortlisting the best possible ways of exploring the city. He would at regular intervals share these options with me and our discussions would further assist him in drawing a rough outline of how our trip would turn out.

We could have simply hired cycles for looking around or could have availed a bike on rent. The option of cab was always available but we went for a rickshaw ride. How this ride was finalized, is story in itself. When Sandeep was busy doing his homework, he came across a man from Hampi, called Shiva. Shiva had earned a few videos on Youtube dedicated to him over a period of time. Impressed by him, some tourists, from across the globe, had uploaded his work and thoughts. Sandeep had come across one such video and had loved him at first sight. Hence, twenty days prior to our trip, my husband had tracked his contact number and after having a word with him, Sandeep had booked the services of Shiva for three days. This last part was done, without the consent of wife. The risk involved in making plans without the approval was high. Hence, consequences were to follow.

If you have a little time, I want to show you a video”, said Sandeep one night, hoping to get a retrospective consent. “Ahh! okay, go ahead.” I reacted in a flow, unaware of the hidden motive. The video started and I must admit that I wasn’t fully involved.  Usually, I do not watch videos. Instead, I hear them out while doing the daily chores. That way I get a feel of having done more, in a little time. So when I agreed, the plan was to hear the video.

 My job in rickshaw, I am happy...” are the words that fell on my ears. I kept what was in hand to see this man talk. I think Sandeep was waiting for this moment. He probably thought that he had won half the battle. As I was watching the clip, Sandeep interrupted, “I think, you’ll like this man. He’ll be our guide at Hampi, if you don’t mind.” “If I don’t mind?” I yelled and paused. Sandeep sure had a mini heart attack at that moment. I continued watching the clip and at the concluding part, I had to put up what I thought. “I’ve loved this man. He is so cute and I think he would be perfect for showing us around. I am thrilled about meeting him.”That is how Shiva had won our hearts even before we had met.

We reached Hampi on the 25th of December and the plan was to look around the city with the assistance of Shiva on the 26th, 27th and 28th. In the ruins of Hampi, our perfect plan crippled by the last minute cancellation that Shiva did. He had arranged for another rickshaw driver. We were so eager on meeting him that this change came to us as a disappointment. I felt bad for Sandeep because he had really worked hard in planning the whole thing. I was hesitant in paying the other rickshaw driver the amount agreed with Shiva. On my insistence, Sandeep once again called Shiva. “We will not pay Guru the amount that was agreed between us.” “Okay sir. No problem. I am sorry that I could not join you, in spite of giving you my word. Money is no issue. You see the work of Guru and at the end of the day you can pay him whatever you like.” Thus, with a new agreement, we started exploring the city. Guru was a good man and the thought of Shiva had started fading. Guru was even kind enough to pay for our tea. He insisted upon paying it as we were his guests. We liked him and his small little gestures. The grievance we had that morning had shed by the time Guru brought us back to the hotel. So we paid him, what we would have paid Shiva. Guru took us around the next day and day following that we hired a cab. We were having a good time, when we learnt that Shiva was available on the 29th and that he was willing to show us around.

29th of December was the last day of our trip. The thrill of seeing Hampi through the eyes of Shiva was still very high and intact. Sandeep and I knew that this trip would have been incomplete without meeting Shiva. Remember? We had an instant connect with him even without meeting him. So that is how 29th which was not reserved for exploring Hampi turned out to be the best day of our trip. 

We finally met Shiva post lunch on the 29th and we were pleased to have met him. Indeed, such a simple man. His rickshaw was well maintained and artistically kept. He started with an apology. We could feel how deeply he felt sorry for not living up to his commitment. It turned out that his rickshaw needed a repairing on the previous days and his idea of taking us around on the last day was his way of compensating. I can say with great confidence that Shiva is a genuine man. I wanted to believe him and I know that he was truthful when he said this. He was as charming as he came across through the video. 

 As we had already done exploring most parts of Hampi, we requested him to take us to the comparatively lesser known places of the city. Shiva took us on a route which we would have never dared to explore, if we were on our own. This road took us to the best places in Hampi. On our way Shiva said, "Its the journey that is important and not the destination." This road journey has been the best road trip of my life. I often wonder how can we ever thank Shiva for such a wonderful visual treat. In a real sense, Shiva was worthy of all the praise he had gained across the internet. Shiva took us around to a multiple places and we ended our stay at Hampi, witnessing the beautiful sunset.  

"Shiva," I started, "today what we saw from your rickshaw is nothing less than a heaven. Its my birthday and you made it memorable." I finally revealed. " Really sister? Happy birthday. Its my birthday too." Shared Shiva. He was prompt in showing us the birthday wishes that were pouring upon him over the social media. This man had spent his birthday showing us around, not because he wanted to make money but because he wanted to make up for not living up to his previous commitment. A man with a thought is powerful, a man living a thought is all together different. We were highly impressed.

Shiva suggested, we could celebrate my birthday by cutting a cake in Hampi and readily turned his rickshaw towards Hampi once again. It was pitch dark by then but we managed to find a bakery on our way. We parked our rickshaw out side a massive Nandi temple, which we had not seen in the last three days. Shiva tried his level best to show us things we had not seem before. A Nandi is the vehicle of Lord Shiva and holds great significance in the Indian Mythology. We took the cake right before the Nandi and in the same breath Sandeep and I asked him to cut the cake. Shiva who had stopped celebrating his birthday a few years back on account of a personal tragedy, kept aside his grief and respected our feelings by cutting the cake. With a tear in his eye he promised that he will start celebrating his birthday going forward. Touched by everything, our journey back to the hotel at Hospet was very silent. Sandeep and I never wanted this journey to end but it did with Shiva turning his auto rickshaw into the hotel. He stopped at a corner and getting off his rickshaw he took Sandeep to a side. I was quick at keeping up. He said, its a conincidence that I share my birthday with this sister and ever a bigger coincidence that we meet on the birthday. Moreover, I feel sorry for not living upto my word. I know you had planned this trip long back and my last minute cancellation must have caused you great inconvenience. Hence, today's trip is from me to you. Pay me only if you have not liked my service. In spite of heavy insistence, Shiva left without a penny. Money is not everything he said and simply left. All he took was the cake for his family and what he left back was not just the money but so much more. Sandeep had a tear in his eye. He could not believe such men existed.  

We visited numerous temples in the first three days of our stay and finally found God in Shiva. If only we knew that the rickshaw which took us around was the Nandi of this Shiva.


Shiva we pray that you and your family live a good life. We look forward to meeting you very soon. 
Lots of love, 
The couple that owes to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always stay focused.. :)